Monday, March 2, 2015

Serendipity Knit Hat Free Pattern

I needed a hat. I just about went out and bought one, but my crafty heart wouldn't let me. Why on earth would I buy a hat when I could just make up my own knitted hat pattern with a gorgeous lacy brim? 

Anyway, I needed a hat because of my latest crazy endeavor. For the last two weeks I have quit using shampoo and have been following the "no-poo" method. My hair has been going through an icky grease-blob transition, so I really needed to hide that with a cute hat! 



Materials:
  • Worsted weight yarn. I used Vanna's Choice in rose pink. 
  • Size 7 knitting needles (I used circuluar needs and switches to DPNs when the top of the hat got too small for my ciruclars.)
Notes:
  • This hat is worked in the round.
  • I used the St. John's Wort lace stitch for the brim.
  • You are welcome to make and sell products from this pattern but please link back to this post. Please do not copy this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not republish any of my photos as your own.
  • (This pattern has been updated as of 3/4/15 thanks to a reader who caught a mistype)
Pattern: 

CO 102, place marker
Round 1: *Sl1, k2, psso, k3* repeat around
Round 2: *K1, yo, K4* repeat around
Round 3: *K3, sl1, k2, psso* repeat around
Round 4: *K4, yo, K1* repeat around
Rounds 5-16: Repeat rounds 1-4
Stockinette stitch until peice measures 6.5 ish inches from bottom.
Crown Shaping:
Round 1: *K49, K2tog* repeat around
Rounds 2-4: K around
Round 5: *K2tog, K8* repeat around
Round 6: *K2tog, K7* repeat around
Round 7: *K2tog, K6* repeat around
Round 8: *K2tog, K5* repeat around
Round 9: *K2tog, K4* repeat around
Round 10: *K2tog, K3* repeat around
Round 11: *K2tog, K2* repeat around
Round 12: *K2tog, K1* repeat around
Round 13: *K2tog* repeat around

Cut tail and sew through remaining stitches. Weave in all loose ends. Block lightly if desired. 


I named this hat "Serendipity" because it actually didn't turn out how I visioned. AT ALL. I knitted the majority of it after my two littles were in bed while in zombie mode as I watched some Netflix series. The next morning when I looked at this almost completed hat, I was a little bit horrified that I hadn't even come close to making it how I had wanted it! However, my hubby thought I just needed to try it on and I'd love it. He was right and I was pleased with how it turned out. It really was a pleasant surprise!


Sometimes the best projects are the ones that didn't turn out quite right, don't you think?

Be sure to check out my Craft Closet for more free patterns!


post signature

4 comments:

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D