Monday, January 5, 2015

Felt Golden Plates DIY

Okay, let me just preface this by saying that I KNOW my homemade felt gold plates are a little bit more yellowish than goldish. But I couldn't find any true gold colored felt at any local crafts stores! And yellow or gold, they serve their purpose because my toddler loves them!

(Not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? You can read a brief description of what the gold plates are here. And you can learn more about our faith here!)


Materials:
  • 7 sheets of gold (or yellowish!) felt
  • 1.5 inch binder rings (3)
  • Hole punch
  • Spray paint (This is optional. The only gold binder rings I found clashed with my yellow felt. My OCD couldn't handle that, so I bought yellow spray paint and sprayed my silver binder rings so they matched!)
  • Hot glue gun


Tutorial:

(You can read more about the descriptions we have of the gold plates here. We don't actually know what they looked like exactly, so there's room for some artistic liberty!)

First, I spray painted my binder rings yellow. Then, using my rotary mat and blade I cut all but 1 sheet of my felt into fourths. 

I marked 3 dots evenly spaced  along the left edge of the now small peices of felt. Next I used my hole puncher to make holes where each dot was marked. And then I put all my pages onto the binder rings. 


Using the sheet of felt I'd set aside, I cut 2 long strips just skinny enough to fit between the binder rings. 

I slid the peices between the binder rings and wrapped them over about half of the pages and then hot glued the ends together. 


And then I presented them to my toddler! He's been super obbsessed with the gold plates as of late, so these were a really big hit!

I thought I'd share a basic lesson plan for FHE that I prepared for our family tonight. You can easily adapt this to fit your family's needs and the ages of your children! I only chose two scriptures because of my son's age, but if you have older children you could easily include more verses, quotes from general authorities, the  testimony of the three witnesses and/or the testimony of the 8 witnesses!

Opening song: The Golden Plates
Prayer
Discussion: Summarize the story of how Moroni buried the golden plates and then Joseph Smith received and translated them into the Book of Mormon. 
Scriptures:
  • Wherefore, at that day when the book shall be delivered unto the man of whom I have spoken, the book shall be hid from the eyes of the world, that the eyes of none shall behold it save it be that three witnesses shall behold it, by the power of God, besides him to whom the book shall be delivered; and they shall testify to the truth of the book and the things therein. 2 Nephi 27:12
  • He said there was a book deposited, written upon gold plates, giving an account of the former inhabitants of this continent, and the source from whence they sprang. He also said that the fulnessof the everlasting Gospel was contained in it, as delivered by the Savior to the ancient inhabitants. Joseph Smith- History 1:35
Pictures: Moroni Hides the Plates in the Hill CumorahJoseph Smith Translating the Book of Mormon 
Testimony: My husband and I will share a brief testimony about the Book of Mormon and the golden plates.
Closing song: I usually let my son choose! So I'd bet we'll be singing I Love to See the Temple ;)
Prayer

And here you can find some more supplements and activities to include in a lesson about the golden plates: Additional resources

There are so many activities I'm planning on using these gold plates for in the future. Role playing Moroni burying them and Joseph Smith finding them is a lesson I intend to do someday with my kids!!

What are you doing for family night tonight??

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D