Monday, October 27, 2014

Bear Cub Knit Hat Pattern For Toddlers

So, last week it occurred to me that I hadn't even thought about what I was going to dress my kids up as for Halloween...

(Please tell me I'm not the only slacker!)

After searching the very picked over racks of toddler Halloween costumes at nearby stores, I concluded I had better just put on my Supermom Cape and make costumes! We often call our little boy "Bear" so I decided that there was really no choice other than to dress him up as a bear! Since Halloween is right around the corner, I needed to whip something up FAST! I bought a brown sweater and sweatpants set and then knitted this adorable little bear cub hat!


Materials:
Notes:
  • You are welcome to make and sell products from this pattern but please link back to this post. Please do not copy this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not republish any of my photos as your own.
Pattern Instructions:

Hat:

CO 72
Round 1: *K2, P1* repeat around
Round 2: *K1, P2* repeat around
Repeat rounds 1 and 2 until work measure 1.5 inches.
Continue in stockinette stitch until work measures 5.5 inches from the cast on edge. 
Crown Shaping:
Round 1: *K6, K2tog* repeat around
Round 2: *K5, K2tog* repeat around
Round 3: *K4, K2tog* repeat around
Round 4: *K3, K2tog* repeat around
Round 5: *K2, K2tog* repeat around
Round 6: *K1, K2tog* repeat around
Round 7: *K2tog* repeat around

Cut tail and sew through remaining stitches. Weave in all loose ends.

Ears: (Make 2)

CO 11
Rows 1-7: Knit
Row 8: K2tog, k7, K2tog
Row 9: K2tog, k5, K2tog
Row 10: K2tog, k3, K2tog 
Row 11: K2tog, k1, K2tog

Bind Off, attach to hat, sew in loose ends. Block lightly if desired.

My son is pretty thrilled about this hat! He's going to be the cutest little bear cub in the history of Halloween. 
post signature

6 comments:

  1. I love the hat! I'm just wondering what size of toddler it fits. Are we talking 6-12 month or a newborn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, i'm needing to knit something like this for my nephew. need 12-18 months. would this fit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Toddler Size' usually means about 1 - 3 years, I would say - Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also - Ravelry page for this pattern says it will fit an approximately 20 - 22 inch head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this adorable pattern. I plan to make some of these hats (well a least one) for our church's Christmas Fair. They'll love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a little confused (new at knitting) because it says to use knitting needles...not a circular needle. No where does it say to join. So I just used my circular needle, pretty much repeated round 1 and knitted the rest of the way up instead of stockinette, and it came out perfect! I did it for a little girl, so I will add a pink bow to make it a little more feminine. Thanks for the pattern..definitely an easy knit! :)

    ReplyDelete

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D