Monday, September 15, 2014

Bitty Beanie Free Knit Pattern

While I was pregnant, I had so much fun making things for my baby girl. It's been even more fun to see her wearing the things I've made! This sweet little knit hat is an easy pattern that works up in no time! 



Materials:
  • Size 7 knitting needles
  • Baby weight yarn
  • 2 small buttons (optional)
Notes:
  • Size 0-3 months
  • When you cast on, I recommend using the Twisted German Cast On. I've decided I really like this method for baby hats because it's stretchy. But I'm sure whatever cast on you want to use would work just fine.
  • You are welcome to make and sell products from this pattern but please link back to this post. Please do not copy this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not republish any of my photos as your own.
Pattern: (updated 1-31-15)

Cast on 60, join together to knit in the round
Round 1: K1, P1 repeat around
Round 2: P1, K1 repeat around
Rounds 3-12: Repeat rounds 1 and 2
Rounds 13-27: K around
Round 28: K7, k2tog, repeat around
Round 29: K6, k2tog, repeat around
Round 30: K5, k2tog, repeat around
Round 31: K4, k2tog, repeat around
Round 32: K3, k2tog, repeat around
Round 33: K2, k2tog, repeat around
Round 34: K1, k2tog, repeat around
Round 35: k2tog, repeat around
Cut tail and sew through remaining stitches. Weave in all loose ends.


I found those wooden flower buttons at Hobby Lobby and it was love at first sight. I bought them without knowing what I would use them for and am so happy they coordinated with my baby's little beanie!

Be sure to check out my Little Miss Stitcher Pinterest Board for more free patterns! Happy stitching!
post signature

10 comments:

  1. I'm going to be volunteer teaching a knitting class at a summer camp, and this pattern seems like a great one for beginners. Could I share this pattern with my students, if I include credit to you and your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      What length of circular knitting needles did you use for this pattern? I used 16" long needles and had a hard time doing the last few rounds, so I ended up switching to DPNs.

      Delete
  2. Hi, what ply did you use for this cute hat? I can't seem to find a tension gauge although with size 7 needles perhaps it is a DK (8 ply) pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm struggling to get it in the round using 16" size 7 needles. Any tips???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are using circular needs, try using double pointed needles instead:) Good luck!

      Delete
  4. How many would I cast on if I wanted to make this newborn size? Or do you know the finished size/gauge???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally would use a size 8 for double knit

    ReplyDelete
  6. how can I change the pattern for a 1 yr. old? I just love this sweet beanie.
    Thanks, Debby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'd like to knit this nice hat in worsted for a 5 month old baby. Can you help me? thanks

    ReplyDelete

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D