Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Newborn Knit Bonnet

The cute and amazingly talented photographer over at Bitty Bokeh Photography asked me to make her some little newborn bonnets for her photo shoots. This is what I came up with! And I'm still drooling over the sweetness :)  



Materials:
  • Size 7 knitting needles
  • Patons Lace Yarn (I used artic plum)
Notes:
  • Newborn size
  • I made this on circular needles, but straight would work wonderfully as well!
  • You are welcome to make and sell products from this pattern but please link back to this post. Please do not copy this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not republish any of my photos as your own.

Pattern:

CO 58
Row 1-10: Work double moss stitch
Row 11: K across
Row 12: P across
Rows 13-24: Repeat rows 11-12
Row 25: K2tog twice, k across until 4 stitches remaining, k2tog twice
Row 26: P across
Row 27: *K2tog, k2* repeat from * to * 3 more times. K2tog, k18, *k2tog, k2* repeat from * to * 3 more times, k2tog
Row 28: P across
Row 29: K2tog, *k4, k2tog* repeat from * to * across
Row 30: P across
Row 31: K2tog twice, *k3, k2tog* repeat from * to * across until 4 stitches remaining, k2tog twice
Row 32: P across
Row 33: K5 *K2tog, K3* across until 5 remaining, k5
Row 34: P across
Row 35: K2tog *k1, k2tog* repeat from * to * across

Finishing:

Break off yarn, sew through remaining stitches, pull tight. Make and attach braids for ties! Block lightly if desired.


*Sigh*

Who doesn't love to knit for little babies?!

Be sure to check out my Little Miss Stitcher Pinterest Board for more free patterns! Happy stitching!

post signature

18 comments:

  1. Hi. Thanks for this adorable pattern! I just have a few questions...you said you did yours on circular needles...Is the pattern for knitting flat? If so are there any conversions for knitting in the round? I am kind of new to knitting so I apologize if these are dumb questions. Also, how did you join the back of the bonnet? I have made another bonnet from a another pattern and had to switch from flat knitting to dpns to decrease and close the back. Is that not necessary in this one? I would greatly appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's back and forth knitting- you could use straight needles. I just enjoy using circular! Double pointed needles aren't necessary. To close the back, just sew it shut! Good luck :)

      Delete
  2. Just whipped one up for our newest neighbour. Very cute. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm relatively new to knitting, and I hate circular needles. All the bonnet pattern I had found were too intimidating, this worked up nicely and I finished it quickly even though I'm still pretty slow!! Lovely pattern and great for a beginner!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had success :) I'm sure you did a beautiful job!

      Delete
  4. This is my new favorite pattern. I think I have already knit 5 bonnets with it in various sizes and yarn weights for newborn and baby photography. I adapted it slightly for a chunkier weight yarn in a beautiful greyish blue and it looks great with chunky knit baby pants in the same yarn. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could I work this in the round if desired? I know how to make adjustments from wrong side to right side already :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for generously sharing the pattern for this pretty bonnet, I just started to knit it! Are you on Ravelry? Then I could show you my finished bonnet :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am on Ravelry and I would to see how yours turns out!! My username is lilmissstitcher:)

      Delete
  7. The easiest and in the same time the cutest pattern for a baby bonnet. Thank you for sharing! Do you have a facebook account so I ca follow you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    Thank you for this pattern. I'm using circular needles and I have started the double moss rows. I was wondering if it was possible to join and knit in a round at some point? Would this be at row 25?
    Thank you very much for your advice.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! This is adoreable! I am new to knitting, but would like to try this with standard weight yarn...is there anything I need to adjust for yarn size? Sorry if this is a silly question!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi II love the pattern but do you see all the seam up or just halfway please? Thanks Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kersten,
    Thank you for this patter.
    I was wondering if you can give me instructions for a baby bonnet age 6 months and
    1 year.Thank you so much for your kind help

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any chance I can use needle size 4 US?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, you mention size 7 needles, is that UK, US or mm? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to make this for my granddaughter who is 16 months old. Is there a pattern direction for babies/toddlers? Thanks!!!!
    Tahitichick1967@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to make this for my 17 month old granddaughter. Do you have directions for this pattern for babies/toddlers???
    My email is tahitichick1967@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D