Tuesday, April 22, 2014

DIY Boy and Girl Felt Hand Puppets

Remember my Daniel in the Lion's Den Hand Puppets? Well, they have been such a huge hit with my little boy for family home evening that I decided I had better make some more felt hand puppets for our lessons!


I got the idea for these puppets from my mom. She used to be a sunbeam teacher, and she would make these little muslin hand puppets for the children to have when she was teaching the lesson about how we all have bodies. Since I am only making hand puppets for 1 child and not 10, I decided to copy her idea but make my puppets a little bit more elaborate :)

Materials:
  • Felt in skin tone, brown, blue, green, pink, and light pink
  • Free templates
Using the templates, cut out all the felt pieces. Layer and sew together. Then hand stitch on a cute little face. Putting right sides together, sew around, being sure to leave the bottom open. Then hot glue on the girl's hair bows.




And that's it! Easy enough, right?

These hand puppets are fabulous because I can use them for so many different family home evenings! I made these with the I Have a Body Like Heavenly Father's lesson from the LDS nursery manual in mind, but have also used them for the I Will Take Care of My Body lesson. I have found the primary and nursery manuals are my favorite resources for coming up with family night ideas!


My son never gets bored of all his "famee nigh puppets!" :)

post signature

4 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I came across this because I am looking to make a puppet. I saw your pictures and clicked on it instantly. Then as soon as I started reading I knew instantly we have a common interest ... These will be great for primary singing time. I have been looking for a good boy sing/girl sing only puppets. I will follow what you do for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I'm so glad you found what you are looking for! :)

      Delete
  2. Can you let me know what type of stitch you used to attach the felt layers (the shirt and hair?) It looks a little more decorative than a basic stitch.

    ReplyDelete

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D