Friday, March 21, 2014

Motherhood: There's Nothing Better

Shortly after Tyson and I announced my pregnancy, we went to a social function. While there, I started chatting with another mom.

This girl informed me that it was no surprise I was pregnant again, because as a stay at home mom, I obviously have nothing better to do than keep making babies. In fact, she was surprised we had waited so long to have another. Her tone of voice was very negative, and she felt the need to make a few other comments with undercurrents of disapproval. Initially, I was hurt by how snotty she was to me. But I decided it wasn't worth my time to fret over her derogatory attitude over our decisions and just got over it. 

Well, the other day I got to thinking about what she had said. And I decided that aside from her negative attitude, she was absolutely right.

I have nothing better to do than have this baby. I have nothing better to do than be a mom!

There is nothing better than watching Jace's face light up when he figures out how to do something new. There is nothing better than when he gives me big kisses for no reason. I have nothing better to do than make him grill cheese sandwiches for lunch and clean up his puke when he's sick at night.

When this baby comes, I'll have nothing better to do that spend my days and nights nursing. I'll have nothing better to do than change diapers, clean up spit up and try to figure out how to juggle a baby and a toddler.

My strengths and talents are best utilized in my home where they can benefit my husband and children most. I know that being a stay at home mom is not for everyone, but it's what is right for me.

Last summer...I miss summer!

There is nothing better than being a momma, and I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to be with my son all day every day!

I love my little family so much and I am so glad that girl reminded me of how blessed I really am, even though I doubt that was her intention!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience! I have felt at times that SAHM's are viewed in a lesser light than mum's who keep themselves busy with other pursuits on top of their motherly roles. One girlfriend even commented to me that one reason she's still working is because she didn't want to be "just a mum"! Life as "just-a-Mum" might be a little less "sophisticated" in the world's eyes but I have no regrets, my girls and my husband are my heart and soul... and at home is where I toil and where life shows me it's greatest treasures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I have felt that way too about how a few people I've encountered view being a stay at home mom! Motherhood certainly isn't glamorous, so I'm glad you can embrace it regret free!

      Delete
  2. Honestly Kersten, I think that she was jealous. Being hostile towards someone because their life choices aren't your own shows a discontentment that runs deeply in them. I am glad you realize the worth in what you are doing. Children grow up so quickly. Being a successful SAHM is working ourselves out of a job. It doesn't last long. My best friend works, she's a pediatrician, and has a wonderful day care. It works for her family & Eva is a happy well adjusted little girl. No matter what we do as mommy's there are sacrifices. We have to figure out which ones we are willing to live with, be happy in it and encourage others, even if they choose differently. I love being a SAHM, that is the choice I have made. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right, and I told myself that to help myself not feel all bad about how she had talked to me. I also have a cute mommy friend who works outside the home and it's what is right for her family! As moms I think we need to focus more on encouraging one another (like you said) instead of turning life into a competition! And I'm happy that you are able to love being a stay at home mom :)

      Delete

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D