Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cancer Series: Nicole's Future

Occasionally, people will still ask about Nicole. When I tell them that she is in remission, a lot of them smile really big and assume that everything is just peachy now.

Yes, Nicole is in remission. Yes, she's off her feeding tube and seems to be developing very well. And my whole family is so grateful for that. But that doesn't mean her road to recovery is over. She still has regular hospital visits. She has several therapists come visit her in her home. And there are so many side effects of chemo and radiation she will have to face for the rest of her life.

If she wants to have children, she will most likely have to adopt. Adoption is a beautiful thing, but infertility would be such a difficult and painful reality to face.

It is likely that she will have to be on hormone meds to develop properly.

Learning, vision, dental, breathing, and hearing problems are some things she may face.

And, of course, there is a chance that her cancer could come back someday.

I could keep listing possible side effects, but for the sake of not depressing myself, I will just stop there :)


But for now, when people smile big and assume everything is just perfect now that Nicole is in remission, I will smile back. I want to focus on the positive. I want to enjoy my sister's life and I want my sister to enjoy her life, too. Because her life is a miracle.

  To read more about my cute little sister, check out these posts:

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D