Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cancer Series Introduction

So, I've decided that I'm going to share a series of posts about cancer. I know, I know. That's not at all my usual topic for this blog. But it is something that is very close to home.

Those of you who have been following this blog for a while have probably caught onto the fact that I have a toddler aged sister. She was a surprise package for my parents. A very big surprise. I was already married when my mom found out she was expecting! It was a little weird, I have to be honest. But then my sister Nicole was born. And I fell right in love with her.


And then, when sweet Nicole was only four and a half months old, she was diagnosed with both AML and ALL luekmeia. She almost died multiple times.

She's currently in remission now. :)

A lot of people didn't understand what my sister or my family was going through during the worst of times with her. A lot of people don't understand that although my sister is in remission, that doesn't mean all is just peachy. A lot of people want to understand, but are afraid to ask too many questions for fear of offending or bringing up hard topics. Or don't know what to ask. 

I used to shy away from the cancer topic. I didn't know what to say to people who were experiencing it. I didn't know how to "properly" react. Part of me wanted to understand, but part of me was happy to live my cancer-free life.

That's why I'm writing this series. I want people to understand. To get a glimpse of what having a loved one with cancer really means.

My experience with a sister having cancer is not the same as my mom's experience. Or my dad's. Or one of my other sister's. Nobody can have the same experience, thoughts and feelings about a loved one going through something so hard. No two cancer patients are really comparable. But I hope that by sharing my experience, people who haven't experienced cancer can understand just a little better. 


Here are the posts can you can expect to see over the next week or so:

  • Bone Marrow Transplant Anniversary. This post is a slightly modified version of one that I posted on my family blog a few months ago. It reviews our experience from the night she was life flighted until her one year transplant anniversary.

My LDS faith comes out in some of these posts because my religion and faith in Jesus Christ are what got me through this hard time in my life. I'm so grateful to have the gospel in my life!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D