Saturday, June 1, 2013

Vintage Crocheted Dress Potholder

Years and years ago, my mom got these charming crocheted potholders. Pink. Vintage. Dresses. Little girl Kersten loved them very much.


Well, little girl Kersten quickly decided she was going to inherit them when her mom died.

My mom is not dying anytime soon, peeps. Not that that's a problem, of course :) But I really wanted to make some of those little dresses for me. I couldn't find a pattern for them. So, I finally just made up my own pattern, using my mom's potholders as a guide. 




Not bad, eh? Here's how I did it :)

First I found some peach and off white size 10 crochet thread. 
Using a size 8 crochet hook and peach, ch twenty. Join with sl st into first ch. Then 
ch 14. Sl st into 10th ch of first chain row.


It looked like this!

Row 1: Ch four (counts as 1 triple crochet) Tr 39 times in ring. Sl st into top of ch 4. (40 tr)
Row 2: Ch 4. Tr in same st as ch. *1 tr in next 2 tr, 2 tr in next tr.* Repeat from * to *around. Sl St into top of ch 4. Finish off. (54 tr)
Row 3: Join off white with sl st. Ch 4, tr in same stitch as ch. *1 tr in next 2 tr, 2 tr in next tr.* Repeat from * to * around. Sl St into top of ch 4. (72 tr.)
Row 4-5: Ch 4, tr in same stitch as ch. *1 tr in next 2 tr, 2 tr in next tr.* Repeat from * to * around. Sl St into top of ch 4. Finish off. (row 4: 96 tr, row 5: 128 tr)
Row 6: Beginning where I finished off, I counted 13 st to the left. Join peach with sl st, ch 1, sc in same tr. *6 tr in next tr, skip 1 tr, sc in next tr.* Repeat from * to * until there are 6 shells. Finish off. 
Row 7: Starting where I finished off, I counted over 29 st. Join peach with sl st, chain 1, sc in same tr. *6 tr in next tr, skip 1 tr, sc in next tr.* Repeat from * to * until there are 8 shells. Finish off.   

It looked like this.

So I folded it in half.

Row 8: Starting with the stitch right after one of the shells, join off white with sl st. Chain 6, skip 2 tr, tr 1 in next tr, chain 2. *Skip 2 tr, tr in next tr, chain 2.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with sl st in top of ch 4.
Row 9-10: Sl st until into ch sp. Ch 3, 1 dc in same ch space, ch 2. *2 dc in next ch space, ch 2.* Repeat from * to * around. Join with sl st in top of 3rd ch.
Row 11-18: Sl st until into ch sp. Ch 3, 2 dc in ch sp, ch 2. *3 dc in next ch sp, ch 2*. Repeat from * to * around. Join with sl st in top of 3rd ch. Finish off.
Row 19: Starting in any middle dc of 3 dc cluster, join peach with sl st. Ch 1, sc in same dc, 6 tr in next ch space. *1 sc in middle dc of cluster, 6 tr in next chain space.* Repeat from * to * around . Join with sl st in 1st sc. Finish off. 
For the sash, I took 3 longish pieces of my peach thread and braided them together. 


Isn't it pretty? I love it :) It seems like it wouldn't be the most effective potholder, but it's sure a lovely little kitchen decoration!

Be sure to check out my Little Miss Stitcher Pinterest Board for more free patterns! :D

12 comments:

  1. Kersten

    Hello, well I'd say you captured that PERFECTLY! As a matter of fact I like yours even better! Thank You soooo much for sharing. I was looking online for a Dress Potholder pattern and it led me to you! I couldn't have found a better pattern. Have a great day.

    Conni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS.

      What size yarn/thread did you use?

      Thanks again,
      Conni

      Delete
    2. Thank you I'm so glad you like it! I'm 98% certain I used size 10 crochet cotton :)

      Delete
  2. could this be made for a baby dress and if so how many chains do I start with and how many shells?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could try to convert this pattern into a baby dress, but I have never tried and don't know how many starting chains you would need. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  3. Im making a baby dress out of this pattern that I asked you about with ch 50 making 4 rows and joining for arms and then shell5 sk1 shell5 and on and on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi was looking for a dress potholder and came across your pattern. Made it and very happy hoe it came out thanks for sharing the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello loved the vintage dress pot holder I have a question can a treble stitch be substituted for a double crochet and can I use a cotton yarn thank you very much I will try to make it because I'm a crochet beginner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can change the stitches and yarn, but that would result in a different size and look. Good luck!! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, for the vintage dress potholder pattern in your mom's dress I can see from the pictures that the sleeve part only has 6 shells.The dress that you made has 8 shells can you provide the instructions for that section I personally think it looks better with 8 shells.thank you so much for sharing this cute pattern

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Can you OK please tell me what dimensions the vintage dress potholder has. I would also like to know what kind of yarn(brand)and size hook you used THANK YOU so very much can't wait to make it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I love your version of your Mom's vintage dress potholder pattern. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I seriously love comments and I read every single one! Please keep in mind that I have the right to delete anything negative or rude. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D